Meaning and Origin of the Name Brenda
Brenda a female name originating from the old Nordic male name Brandr.
Brenda therefore has the same meaning as the name Brandr which meaning both torch and sword.
It is generally thought that Brenda is the feminine form of the male name Brendan in Celtic nations of Ireland, Scotland and Wales. This name has a long history in these nations with the name dating back to medieval history.
Brenda was not in the top 100 baby girls’ names in England in 2016. The name has been popular in Britain especially during the 1930s.
Famous People with the Name
Some famous Bendas that you may have heard of are:
- Brenda Blethyn an English actress from Kent who famously played the starring role in the TV series Vera.
- Brenda Edwards is an English singer who is known for her time on the talent show the X Factor and singing West End.
- Brenda Lee an American sing popular in the 1960s
- Brenda Song also an American singer.
- Brenda Bruce is an English actress who performs on TV, theatre and on radio shows including Doctor Who, Casualty and Lovejoy.
Discover the meaning and origin of other English girls’ names like Brenda.