Holly continues to be a popular girl’s name and it will probably continue to be for years to come. Find out why Holly is a great baby’s name.
Origin and Meaning
The girls name Holly is a popular name which does have a meaning behind it. The name Holly is generally a females name of English origin. The name has one primary spelling however the name can be spelled other ways such as Hollie.The name Holly is derived from the Holly tree. The Holly tree is frequently seen around the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday. The name is often given to a baby if they are born around the Christmas Season.
Popularity of the Name Holly
In 2012 the name Holly was ranked one of the most popular names among baby girls, in England it was the 24th most popular baby girl’s name (figures by National Office of National Statistics).
Famous People Called Holly
- Holly Willoughby is a popular English television presenter
- Holly Hunter is an award winning American actress who starred in ‘The Piano’ and ‘The Firm’ to name a few.
- Holly Valance is an Australian actress and singer
Also in the 1962 movie “Breakfast at Tiffanys” the main character played by Audrey Hepburn was named Holly Go-lightly. Holly in the movie “Breakfast at Tiffanys” was believed to be of English origin.
- Our comprehensive list of girls names
- Expecting a baby? Save money on Baby Products