Meaning and Origin of the Name Monica
The name Monica is a name that origins from North Africa.
The meaning of Monica then becomes either alone or advisor. Alone comes from the association with the Greek work monos that means alone. The Advise meaning can be linked to the Latin word, monere, which translates to advise. There has also been a reference that links the name to an ancient god, Mon, who was Libyan.
Variation in the Name
The name Monica is a female name that has a wide variety of different variations, including Monicka, Monita, Monet, Monnica, Moniqua, Monika, Mo, Moe, Monk, Monca, Moneeca and Moniqua.
Popularity of Monica
Monica was not in the top 100 girls’ names in England in 2014. However, the popularity of Monica in the US was ranked number 39th in the late 70’s as the most popular female name, but in the late 2000’s, it was ranked number 363rd.
Famous People Called Monica
There are several famous people around the word with the name Monica or a derivative. One of the top singers of the 1990s in America is named Monica. There is also Monica Lewinski who was linked to president Bill Clinton. Here’s a list of some of the popular females with the name:
- Monica Evanswho is a Birtish actress
- Monica Falcioni- long and triple jumper
- Monica Horan who is an American Actress
- Monica Iozzi-Brazilian Actress and Reporter
- Monica Edwards- Biritsh children’s author
- Monica Goodling- former Director of Public Affairs for the U.S Department of Justice
- Monica Lopez- Argentine politician
- Monica Lewinsky- former White House Intern, as well as the woman who had an affair with President Bill Clinton
- Monica Keena- American Actress
- Monica of Hippo- the Mother of Saint Augustine
- Discover the meaning and origin of other girls’ names on our website.